Want to know what the Best Front Tine Tillers are? Here are all the best ones on the market, pros, cons and how to use them properly!
Lots of people across the globe love gardening. Many people find gardening to be a relaxing and enjoyable activity. However, one of the most stressful elements of gardening is having to prepare your soil. This can be a strenuous and time-consuming task.
If this is something you struggle with, you can make gardening much easier by purchasing a front tine tiller. These products help you to prepare and cultivate your soil. As a result, your soil will be ready for new seeds to be planted. They are ideal for both small and medium-sized spaces.
Though these front tine tillers are really useful devices, shopping for one can be quite laborious. To help you, we have found five of the best products on the market.
- 5 Best Electric Tillers Of 2022!
- Best Corded Electric Weed Eater Of 2022
- Best Cordless Grass Shears [2022 Update]
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
Our Best Front Tine Tillers Reviews
First of all, this Tazz front tine tiller is a great option for gardening fans. Unlike rival tillers, this brand is versatile.
In fact, it can be considered a two-in-one product. The Tazz tiller can be adjusted to fit your project, meaning it is even more flexible. It also comes with a powerful engine that will make your gardening much quicker and more efficient.
- 79cc Viper Engine – this front tine tiller features a powerful engine that can break through all soils, including particularly strong soils. In addition, this engine is fuel-efficient, meaning it will not waste fuel.
- Adjustable width – one of the unique features of this device is that it enables the user to alter its width. This means it can be adapted for different-sized gardens.
- 2-in-1 – this product is both a tiller and a cultivator. You can switch this device from a tiller to a cultivator by removing the side shields and outer tines. The cultivator mode allows you to groom any soil. As a result, this tiller is multi-use.
- 4 height positions – this product’s steel handlebar comes with 4 different height positions. This makes it a versatile product that can be altered to fit whichever height you require.
- Lightweight – when pushing a front tine tiller through your garden, you do not want a product that is heavy to use. Thankfully, this unit has been constructed to be as lightweight as possible. It has a low center of gravity, giving the user plenty of control over the device.
- Assembly – some customers have found this product to be difficult and time-consuming to assemble. If this is the case, perhaps you should avoid this product if you lack the time, patience, or skills to assemble this front tine tiller.
Secondly, is this front tine tiller. Its remarkable features induce a strong engine, different tilling widths, incredible stability, and amazing performance.
If you are looking for a device that will save you plenty of time and energy, this will be of interest to you. It is also easy to start and use, making it ideal for those who are not experienced with front tine tillers.
- Cultivator mode – comparable to the previous item, the Earthquake 20015 is both a tiller and a cultivator. As a result, it can be considered a versatile product for your garden.
- Easy-to-use – want to have a tiler that is a headache to use? The answer will probably be no. Luckily, this front tine tiller is super easy to use.
- Unmatched stability – designed to have a low center of gravity, this device will give you ground-hugging stability. This will make maneuvering it much easier.
- Quiet – one of the disadvantages of using a tiller is that it can be noisy. Fortunately, this unit has been crafted to be less noisy than rival products.
- 99cc Viper Engine – this tiller has been fitted with an impressively potent engine. In fact, it is more powerful than the Tazz product above.
- Cost – if you are looking for a tiller on a budget, this may not be the optimal choice for you. In fact, this front tine tiller is much less affordable than other units featured in our list.
The next tiller on our list is the Sun Joe. Unlike other products, which use fuel or oil, this one is electric. Aside from this, some of the main advantages of this model are its durability, its ease of use, and its folding handle.
It requires very little maintenance, making it ideal for those who do not want to spend time having to maintain their front tine tillers. Overall, this is a wonderful product to buy.
- Durable – this tiller features 6 strong tines made of steel. As a result, they will not be broken easily and should last you for a long time.
- 12 amp motor – thanks to this powerful motor, this tiller can easily handle different soil types. This motor is powered by electricity.
- Start instantly – the Sun Joe has been designed to start easily, meaning you can immediately get to gardening. It can be started with the mere press of a button.
- Simple storage – do you not have a lot of storage space? If so, this might be the right tiller for you. Its handles fold, making it easy to store. This also means that it is portable and ideal for taking to other gardens.
- 3-position wheels – you can adjust your rear wheels to be in 3 different positions, meaning this item is customizable.
- Cord – because it is powered by electricity, this tiller has a cord. Some users may find this cord to be annoying since it will limit the distance that you can travel. Not only that, but it may get in the way of your gardening.
Fourth in this guide is the SuperHandy front tine tiller. This low-maintenance machine is both a tiller and a cultivator. Not only does it have a powerful engine, but it is designed to make your experience as safe and simple as possible.
It is built with safety in mind, as evidenced by its Drive Control Lever. Both the tines and their shield is made from steel, meaning it will not be easily worn down. On the rare occasion that these tines are damaged, they can be easily replaced.
- 79cc gas engine – if you are looking for a tiller with a powerful engine, this might be the one for you! This high-torque gas engine will be able to power through your gardening needs.
- Drive Lever – with the help of this safety feature, you can ensure that your tiller only works when you want it to. This will prevent your tiller from accidentally running away, making your gardening experiences much safer.
- Heat-treated steel tines – these incredible tines will be capable of getting through any type of soil. Made from a durable material, these tines will last a long time.
- 7-11 inches tilling depth – when tilling you want to be certain that you are not missing anything. To prevent this, this tiller has deep tines.
- Price – though this is within the typical range for front tine tillers, it is at the higher end of this spectrum. Consequently, it may not be well-suited for those who are shopping for a tiller on a smaller budget.
Finally, the LawnMaster front tine tiller is last up on our list. Ideal for small and medium-sized gardens, this tiller is another electric-powered product. Like the Sun Joe, its handles can be folded, making it more compact to store.
Furthermore, it has been designed to be as quiet as possible. Also, it is easy to use, meaning it is suitable for those who are less tech-savvy. It has a 9-inch depth, meaning its tines will provide a thorough tilling.
- 6 steel blades – these sharp blades are designed not to rust, meaning you will not have to worry about them becoming unusable. These tines are spread 18 inches apart.
- Foldable – the handle of the tiller can be folded, making storage more convenient.
- Low noise – unlike louder tillers, this product has been designed to vibrate less. As a result, you will have a quieter experience.
- Safe and easy to use – safety is a priority when it comes to the LawnMaster tiller. To start it, you must press the safety locking button. This will prevent it from being accidentally started.
- Corded – like the Sun Joe electric tiller, this item requires a cord. As a result, this will mean that it is not suitable for larger gardens and that the cord may pose a hazard.
- It may be too lightweight – the fact that this product is lightweight can definitely be an advantage, as it can make using it an easier and less physically laborious activity. On the other hand, it can cause this tiller to jump somewhat during tilling.
Now that you have read through our top recommendations, you will be in a better position to begin looking for a front tine tiller. After all, this will have given you an impression of some of the pros and cons to look out for as you begin shopping.
However, we would like to warn you that there are lots of factors to consider before you begin looking for a tiller. To make your experience more straightforward, we have noted some of the most important factors for you to consider.
These include the cost of the item and the ease with which it can be assembled. We highly advise reading this before you shop.
If you consider yourself to be an avid gardener, you will likely be more willing to spend large amounts of money on a front tine tiller. However, if you plan to use it infrequently, you should perhaps think about how much you want to spend.
Because they are high-quality devices, tillers tend to be quite expensive. You will likely have to spend between $150 and $400 on a tiller. This can be a costly investment, meaning you might want to set aside a budget to stop yourself from spending too much on them.
More advanced models with multiple additional features will be more expensive than more standard tillers.
It is, therefore, recommended that you only buy these advanced units if you plan on using them frequently. If not, we advise getting a cheaper and more basic tiller.
Nobody wants to spend loads of time setting up their front tine tiller. Instead, most people will want this process to take as little time as possible so that they can begin their gardening project.
Regrettably, some tillers will simply be more complex to assemble than others. If so, this can be quite a difficult and time-consuming task.
To avoid this issue, look into the ease with which a tilling model can be assembled. If it looks like it comes with multiple complex parts, it might be better for you to avoid buying this. If you are someone who is not very good at setting up this sort of product, it will be particularly crucial for you to investigate the complexity of a product’s assembly.
Pushing a front tiller tine around your garden can be arduous and physically exhausting. To stop this problem from arising, you should find out how heavy a device is before committing to it.
If a product has a lightweight design, it will likely be better for you. On the other hand, if a product looks heavy or weighs a lot, it may not be the right tiller for you. This will be a particularly relevant issue if you are quite old or frail.
Having to repair a damaged tiller can be tricky. In some cases, they may even be too damaged to fix. Instead, you will have to replace your unit. To stop this issue from happening, make sure that you invest in a long-lasting and durable front tine tiller. Durable tillers will be made from strong materials.
Not everyone has loads of garage space to use to store their front tine tiller. In fact, many homes have limited storage space. As a result, you will need a tiller that can be stored easily.
For example, the Sun Joe TJ603E comes with handles that can be folded up. Consequently, it will take up very little storage space. Larger models will need plenty of space to be stored.
The amount of space you are willing to sacrifice for your front tine tiller will need to be considered before you pick a product. If you do have very limited space, look for a small but powerful tiller.
The storage of a product will be linked to its portability. If you plan on being able to take a tiller to different locations, you will need one that is easily portable. To achieve this, it will need to be compact and have some form of folding system.
Most front tine tillers will be fitted with potent engines. After all, this is required for the amount of work they have to do. Yet, the power of these engines will vary between products.
If you are looking for a powerful machine that will make gardening considerably easier, you might want to get a tiller with a high engine power. Otherwise, your gardening will be more labor-intensive for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Difference Between Front And Rear Tine Tillers?
Front and rear tine tillers can be used for different purposes. While the front tine tiller is good for smaller areas, the rear tiller should be used for bigger patches of soil.
Front tine tillers are cheaper than rear tillers. In comparison, because they are more expensive and better for large areas, rear tine tillers are more suited to professional gardeners. Front tine tillers are also better at getting into narrow spaces and are suited for more precise gardening.
Unlike front tillers, rear tine tillers can be moved in both forward and backward directions. As mentioned, they are good for covering large spaces.
How Do You Use A Front Tine Tiller?
Exact instructions on how to use a front tine tiller will depend on the brand and model. Any product you purchase should be accompanied by detailed instructions from the manufacturer.
We can, however, provide a more general set of instructions. Before you begin, make sure that there are no large stones or branches in the ground. These could destroy your tillers. Think about the area you plan to use your device on and plan your path.
The method that you use to start your tiller will depend on whether it runs on petrol or electricity. Once you have started your tiller, you are ready to begin. Direct your tiller forward, pushing lightly on the handles. Go over the entirety of the space multiple times. This will be advantageous for your soil.
Can You Plant Straight After Tilling?
We do not advise planting immediately after you have tiled. Instead, it is recommended that you wait for at least a week. Though tilling is necessary, it can disrupt the balance of the soil.
The soil will be healthier and more full of nutrients if you wait a while. Therefore, it will yield better results when you do get around to planting. Of course, if you are in a real rush you can plant after a few days. However, you should check the quality of the soil before you do this.