Looking for the Best Retractable Garden Hose? Here are all the best ones on the market, pros, cons and how to use them properly!
When it comes to caring and maintaining your garden, there is a lot to think about and consider. Garden hoses are one of the most important and essential pieces of equipment to have in your garden.
From watering your plants to washing and cleaning your driveway. Garden hoses are very useful things to have, but storing them can be difficult.
Hoses come in different lengths, which means the longer your hose, the more difficult it can be to store or to find somewhere to store it when it’s not in use.
Luckily there are lots of retractable garden hoses to look into, which are a better alternative to the standard garden. In this article, we will be going through the best retractable garden hoses for you to choose from.
Our Best Retractable Garden Hose Reviews
Gardena Retractable Hose Reel
The Gardena Retractable Hose Reel, is seen as one of the best retractable garden hoses you can buy. With lots of positive customer reviews, this hose can be mounted to your wall.
However you can swivel this hose 180 degrees, for easier access, which also helps you save space. This hose can be used by anyone, thanks to its steel spring, which also helps reduce your hose from tangling and twisting.
You don’t have to worry about wasting water, as this hose comes with an anti-drip device. All you have to do is attach the hose to this device after disconnecting the hose from the tap.
This is a slightly more expensive hose, however it comes with a 5 year warranty. Also you don’t have to worry about leaving this hose outside, because thanks to its frost protection, it will still function like new after colder conditions.
- 5 year warranty – This retractable hose comes with a 5 year warranty, in case something goes wrong or you’re not happy with your hose.
- Tangle Free – Thanks to a steel spring, you won’t have to worry about your hose getting tangled and twisted when putting it away or pulling it out.
- Frost Protection – This product comes with frost protection, so you can leave this hose outside during the colder months and it won’t be affected by the weather.
- Easy to install – The Gardena Retractable Garden Hose is super easy to install, by mounting it on your outside wall.
- Price – This is quite a pricey garden hose.
RL Flo-Master 65HR8 Retractable Hose Reel
The RL Flo-Master 65HR8 Retractable Hose Reel is made by Hudson, who also make pressurized sprayers for the garden as well. This retraction hose is 65 feet long and fully retractable with little effort needed.
This product comes with a handle to make moving with the hose easier. However this hose can also be mounted on walls and thanks to its auto-retraction mounting bracket, you can swivel this hose 180 degrees even on the wall.
The Flo-Master comes with a year warranty and the hose is made with reinforced materials, to make this hose last much longer. It comes with an automatic guide that prevents overlapping during the hose’s retraction progress.
This is a sturdy retractable hose, which is also light enough to carry around. It also comes with eight different spray modes due to its eight pattern spray nozzle that is included.
- Automatic Guide – This retractable hose comes with an automatic guide, which means your hose won’t get tangled up or twisted.
- Lightweight – This is one of the more lighter retractable hoses on the list.
- Mountable – This hose can be mounted on a wall and comes with 180 degree rotation, which further prevents twisting and tangling. While also it helps to reach higher places that need watering.
- 1 year warranty – The Flo-Master comes with a one year warranty, in case you aren’t happy with the product or if something goes wrong.
- 65 feet – This hose is 65 feet long, so you can use it all over your garden.
- Durability – The hose is very durable but the body that it lives in is only made from plastic, which isn’t very durable.
Ames Retractable Wall Mount Reel
Ames Retractable Wall Mount Reel is the best and sometimes an underrated brand, if you are looking for a long hose.
This retractable hose comes with a 100 feet long hose, making it long enough for all your gardening needs. Like other retractable hoses on this list, it can be mounted onto walls and has 180 degree rotation. When it’s cold you can easily remove the reel from its bracket and put it in storage.
You have a choice of either a plastic or metal cabinet for your hose. The hose is made from aluminium that contributes to this hose’s durability. Also this hose is believed to have a never-leak system due to the hose being made from aluminum. This isn’t the most lightweight hose, however you don’t have to manually wind the hose in.
All you need to do is tug on the hose and it should all go back into its cabinet. Alongside a 2 year warranty, this hose is perfect for someone looking for a long and durable hose.
- 2 year warranty – The Ames Retractable Wall Mount Reel comes with a 2 year warranty in case something goes wrong or you aren’t happy with the product.
- 100 Feet long hose – This is an extremely long hose, that is 100 feet long.
- Auto-retractable – You don’t have to manually retract this hose, instead you just need to give it a tug. The hose should then automatically go back inside the cabinet.
- No leakage – This product has been made with an anti-leaking system, so you don’t need to worry about any leaks while this product is in use.
- Heavy – This is quite a heavy hose, compared to others on this list.
Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose
The Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose comes with a 2 year warranty. The hose reel comes in a durable and sturdy cabinet that is made with brass fittings.
These fittings are lead-free, rust resistant and anti-corrosive, because the brass has been coated with nickel sleeves. You don’t have to worry about the water or rain damaging your hose.
Like other retractable hoses, this hose is versatile as it comes with a 180 degree swivel bracket so you can water your garden with ease.
This retractable hose comes with an automatic guide. All you need to do is give the hose a hard tug and the hose should retract back into its cabinet. This automatic guide also helps prevent twisting and tangling. There is nothing you can’t do with this hose, as it comes with an adjustable ten patterned nozzle sprayer.
- 2 year warranty – This product has a two year warranty which you can use if you aren’t happy or something goes wrong with this product.
- Automatic guide – This hose comes with an automatic guide, which helps prevent your hose from twisting and tangling.
- 10 pattern nozzle – The Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose comes with a spray nozzle that has ten different patterns. This makes watering your garden easier than ever before.
- Leaking Nozzle – Some customers have claimed that the spray nozzle can leak.
Hozelock 2415 2-n-1 Compact Reel
The Hozelock 2415 2-n-1 Compact Reel has a 82 feet long hose. This hose can be mounted on an outside wall or it can be used as a free standing reel. This is a very portable and easy to use retractable hose and reel.
The Hozelock comes with a handle that makes this hose portable. This product is easy to carry also as it is extremely lightweight.
To retract your hose, you have to manually wind your hose using the large handle that accompanies this reel.
This product also comes with a flow trigger locker, this miminses your water waste by 40 to 100%. The casing that surrounds and holds the hose has enclosed casing that adds even more protection to your hose from wear and tear.
- Portable – This hose and reel is lightweight and with its handle can be easily carried around your garden.
- Versatile – The Hozelock can be mounted on a wall or it can be free standing, depending on which you prefer.
- Winding and Unwinding Handle – This handle makes retracting your hose really easy.
- Hose can lose its shape – Due to winding the hose may kink and lose its shape, which could affect water coming through easily.
There are a few things to consider when buying a retractable hose. You will notice most of them look the same while you are browsing. How they differ is in the features that they offer you and their performance.
A lot of it does come down to what you will be using this hose for and the size of the space that you will be using it in.
You might have a normal hose and you may wonder why you need a retractable hose or have been considering a retractable hose for a while but weren’t sure. Well, a retractable hose is easy to use and much easier to store.
A lot of them also come with multiple patterned spray nozzles that make watering your garden or cleaning your driveway so much easier.
Alongside this, most retractable hoses are built from high quality and strong materials that are meant to withstand the elements and some even are rust proof so you don’t have to worry about rain distributing your hose reel.
Automatic Or Manual
You get retractable hoses that have an automatic guide or a manual one. It is completely your choice which you choose. The benefits with an automatic guide is that it is a lot less effort when it comes to tidying your hose away.
Also by having an automatic guide you are less likely to have knots or kinks form in your hose. The worry of your hose tangling up becomes a thing of the past.
Manual retractable hoses will have a large handle on the side of the reel, where you turn to wind the hose back in.
While with automatic hoses, you just need to push a button or give the hose a hard tug. You will find that automatic hose reels are a bit more expensive than manual ones, but that is because you are buying a system that can do all the work for you.
The length of your hose is personal preference and it does depend on how big your outdoor space that you will be using it on is. There is no right or wrong length a garden hose should be, it all depends on your preference.
With the retractable hoses we have mentioned in our list above, you will notice they all have quite long hose lengths, so you can guarantee that they can be used on very large areas.
However, if you don’t have a large garden and don’t want to spend your money on such a long hose, then shorter hose lengths are available.
Diameter Of Hose Length
The diameter of your hose will determine your water flow. The larger the diameter of your hose, this means the more water that can come out of your hose. The most common hose sizes are 10mm, 12.5mm and 15mm, although there are smaller and larger options.
12.5mm is the most popular size as it’s a good balance between size and weight. However the larger the diameter of your hose, then the more water that will be forced through. This can make your hose quite heavy to handle and control. Therefore this is something to be aware of.
The materials that your hose and container is made of is really important. The better quality the materials, the more durable and the longer your hose and reel will last.
Vinyl hoses are quite cheap and lightweight but they aren’t very durable. If they are left outside, customers of vinyl hoses have claimed that the hose has cracked or split.
On the other hand, rubber hoses are heavy but much more durable than vinyl hoses. They can withstand the elements they are put in, whether that is sun exposure or cold weather conditions, but they are a lot more expensive.
Hoses made with a mixture of rubber and vinyl are the best combination. They are much stronger and durable, but still light and easy to use.
Whatever your container that holds the hose in place is made from, also needs to be made from materials that can withstand the elements. Some retractable hoses are light enough that you can bring them inside or put them in some form of shelter like a shed in the colder months.
You need to make sure that whatever your retractable hose reel is made from won’t rust during the colder months. This is so you know that once winter is over and you are ready for your hose again in spring and summer, that your hose and reel are still in great condition.
A garden hose can serve a lot of purposes, whether that is in your back or front garden. The hose you buy needs to be light enough so it can achieve all of these. Most of the retractable hoses mentioned in our article today, can be mounted and comes with a bracket that allows your hose to rotate 180 degrees which makes using these hoses easier.
Depending on what you mainly use your hose for, you need to make sure that it can achieve everything you want and being light enough to carry around is an important factor.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Attach My Retractable Hose To My Outdoor Tap?
Most hoses come with fittings or connectors, which you can use to connect your hose to your outdoor tap. To connect the fitting you screw it to your hose and then connect your hose to the tap.
Can I Buy A Reel To Turn A Standard Hose Into A Retractable Hose?
You can buy a self-retracting hose reel. However it might be more cost effective to buy a retractable hose with the reel so then you know that the hose and reel will be compatible.
You need to make sure that the reel you buy is going to be compatible with the hose that you have, to make sure it works effectively.
Retractable hoses serve a lot of purposes and make your watering needs easier. They take up less space and as long as you buy a hose made from the right materials can last you for a long time.
You want a hose that is hassle free and will make your gardening needs easier. The retractable hoses that we have mentioned above, will all provide you with an easy to use hose. That is light enough to carry around and made from durable materials that you can trust won’t rust in the rain.
With also a hose that won’t get tangled or twist. What you want in a retractable hose is personal preference, however this article has told you what you need to know and given you our best picks that won’t let you down.