Looking for the Best Seed Starting Kit ? Here are all the best ones on the market, pros, cons and how to use them properly!
One of the most enjoyable aspects of gardening is growing your own plants from scratch. It’s impossible to believe that it all started with a small seed, whether you’re enjoying food you planted or seeing a bird hover around your plants.
It’s also exceedingly cheap to grow from seeds. By understanding how to effectively start your own seeds, you can save big bucks every year.
When it comes to certain species, starting the seeds indoors and then transferring them to your backyard when they’re ready will result in a considerably greater success rate.
You’ll need to have the best seed starting kit for these types of seeds. In this article, we’ve hunted down the very best seed starting kits on the market right now and highlighted their most appealing features. Let’s get started!
Our Best Seed Starting Kit Reviews
First up is this fantastic seed starting kit from the brand MIXC and it can be found on Amazon. It is one of the highest rated seed starting kits on the market right now, and it’s easy to see why.
This kit is perfect for cultivating a variety of plants at home. There are 2 different types available: one with 6 1.9″ cells per tray and the other with twelve slightly smaller cells per kit. This provides you the freedom to select the option that best fits your requirements.
The package contains 10 sets of trays, supports, and domes, letting you produce 60 plants – or perhaps even up to 120 plants, depending on what type you settle on – allowing you to start cultivating enormous quantities of seeds with just one kit.
The translucent seed boxes are the kit’s most notable feature. When growing, you insert the tray in the platform and cover it with the dome provided, but you can also detach the trays from the base to check on the roots without disturbing the seedlings.
The humidity holes in the domes are also advantageous. They’re simple to use and enable you to vary the humidity inside from 50% to 100%, which is great for modifying the growth environment for the different types of plants you’re trying to produce.
They’re also heat-resistant, which means they can go on heat mats to help with germination and growth – they can endure temperatures up to 120°F.
- Transparent trays – Thanks to the innovative transparent design, this kit enables you to observe your developing seedlings as they start and continue to grow, making it easier to spot problems.
- Multiple large cells – Choose between 6 large cells or 12 slightly smaller cells, making this kit perfect for any kind of grower, regardless of crop size and experience.
- Humidity dome included – Thanks to the included humidity dome fitted with ventilation holes. You can control humidity levels inside the dome yourself.
- Heat resistant – The mat section of this seed starting kit is capable of tolerating temperatures of up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s expensive – Due to the large number of cells and added extras thrown in with this kit, it’s a little more pricey than some similar kits on the market.
The Burpee Seed Starter Tray isn’t the most opulent seed starter kit on the market, but it’s economical and effective.
Around 80-100% of the seeds you sow should sprout after 14 days, albeit the seedlings are unlikely to be nearly as big and robust as some of the top kits on the market.
We like that this particular model comes with soil pellets, so if you don’t mind utilising natural daylight and don’t need a heating pad, the Burpee Seed Starter Tray is a great option.
Even though this Burpee Seed Starter Tray comes with a potting medium, some reviewers found that moistening and splitting the soil pellets loose was more difficult and time-consuming than with other planting materials.
Because this version lacks moisture vents, you’ll have to get imaginative with keeping the lid supported if the dome gathers too much moisture unless you really want to uninstall it. Despite these minor flaws, we believe this is an excellent model in terms of price and functionality.
- It’s affordable – This kit is very inexpensive compared to other similar models available on the market right now.
- Soil pellets included – Not many growing kits come with a potting medium included, so this can save you time and money in the long run.
- Good sprouting results – Many reviewers reported that their seedlings began sprouting in just 14 days after planting using this kit, which is a good turnaround time for a home starting kit.
- No vents – Although this starting kit comes with a humidity dome, this dome isn’t fitted with ventilation holes. Therefore, you can’t control the humidity levels yourself.
A warm climate, consistent humidity, and a healthy seed are the 3 key ingredients required for properly germinating seeds and maintaining budding plants through the beginning of the growing season.
While you’re still in charge of the third of these, this seed starting kit available on Amazon from Window Garden ensures that the other two aspects are in place for your seeds to get off to the best available start.
Three reusable small conservatories with measurements of 10″ x 4″, suitable for window ledges, are included in the set to provide the humid and warm conditions your seeds require to develop.
Along with this, you’ll get 30 fibre soil starts composed of coconut coir to put your seedlings in, which are ideal for developing plants from seedlings for a variety of reasons.
Coconut coir fibre seed starters provide a clean, contaminant-free medium, which means your new plants won’t have to fight weeds as soon as they emerge.
Seed starters also maintain moisture efficiently, ensuring that seeds do not dry out, which is one of the most common reasons for seed failure.
Instead of allowing roots to become entangled, as they may in conventional pots, these seed starters are ideal for stimulating robust and thick root growth.
- Innovative and unique design – This entire kit is designed to keep your seeds safe and offer them the best chance of germination, growing, and transplanting, helping to make your growing process much easier.
- Easy to use – This kit works with practically any type of seed and may be used by both adults and children. It’s easy to use and fun to do, and it’d be a terrific educational activity for kids as well as a wonderful way of making sure your seeds develop.
- Ideal size – The size of the trays in this beginner kit are perfect for starting out at home, as they fit neatly on windowsills and shelves.
- Not super-high quality – While the quality of this product is probably about what you’d expect for the price, you can get your hands on some more luxury starter kits if you so wish.
If you’ve tried and failed to cultivate seedlings in the past, this is the device for you.
It’ll offer you the added dimension you need to ultimately be successful, thanks to the greenhouse-like dome and more light. With the simple black tray, it appears to be similar to most basic seed-starting kits at first glance.
The ventilated dome will then assist you in creating ideal growing conditions for your seedlings. Furthermore, the grow lamp will ensure that your plants receive the hours of light they require to get off to a solid start. It even comes with a small booklet with instructions for establishing crops from seeds or cuttings.
Make sure to conduct some study on when to begin growing your seedlings with this.
It’s tempting to get started developing right away, but time is crucial. Your seedlings should be moved directly from the canopy to their flower bed or container, if possible. Find a seed-starting plan for your area online or inquire at your local garden centre.
The bright grow light offers bright conditions, while the adjustable vents allow for easy humidity management. This kit also includes a manual on how to start seeds successfully, making it a genuine beginner’s dream. The only thing lacking is soil, which you’ll have to supply if you choose this type.
- Comes with added extras – In this kit, you’ll also get your own miniature grow light, as well as a heating pad, almost everything you need to get started.
- Adjustable humidity – The domes of this grow kit are fitted with handy ventilation vents which can be adjusted to alter the humidity levels.
- Great survival rate – Many happy customers and Amazon reviewers reported that 100% of their seedlings survived.
- Not all equipment included – This starting kit does not come with a planting tray or a growing medium, so you’ll have to buy your own before you start planting.
This could be an excellent choice if you’re looking for a starter kit that can develop up to 60 plants, including larger ones. The planting trays are separated into six 1.9″ cells, which are larger than typical for young plants like chilies or peppers.
The number of equipment included in this package is one of the things we admire about it.
Ten trays with associated domes, each containing four to 6 plants, are included in the package. This allows you to grow all of the crops you require with lots of room and flexibility. The conservatories are built to maximise efficiency of heat transfer, which helps to establish a constant temperature while keeping the soil moist.
The gadget is made out of plastic that is both flexible and robust. You’ll be able to use your plates and domes over and over if you take care of them.
Overall, this is a fantastic kit that will help you to begin growing a variety of plants in your house until they become ready to be transferred to big pots or into the yard. The kit is enjoyable to use and offers excellent value for money.
- Large cells – The trays in this starter kit measure 1.9”, which is a little bigger than you’d expect for such a cheap system.
- Adjustab;e humidity – The domes of this grow kit are fitted with handy ventilation vents which can be adjusted to alter the humidity levels.
- Efficient heat loss – This kit has been innovatively designed in order to make sure that the soil temperature remains constant throughout the planting and growing process.
- No soil included – Unlike some other beginner kits, this pack does not come with soil or a planting medium, so you will have to buy your own before you get started.
- Lid isn’t secure – Unlike many other growing kits, this pack doesn’t have a clip-on lid. Instead, it balances in place, which is less safe.
There are a lot of seed starter kits on the market at the moment, and with so many options, choosing the correct one can be difficult. Here are some things to consider when purchasing a seed starter kit to assist you in making your decision.
Although most growth kits are intended to be multi-purpose, this does not imply that all growing kits are of same quality or durability. Some goods are built of low-cost, fragile materials that can be reused at least a number of times but are not intended for long-term use.
Certain products, on the other hand, are composed of superb, long-lasting ingredients that you may use season after season. Stronger materials are normally more expensive, but they will save you money in the long run.
They are also beneficial for the environment because you will not discard them after a few usage and replace them with new ones.
If you know you’ll be utilising your starter kit multiple times, or if you know you’re rough on your gardening tools, it’s a good idea to think about how durable these things are.
As the root mass and moisture fill the growing media, it might become heavy. The last thing you want is for your tray of youngsters ready to be relocated or transferred to crumple or collapse as you take it up. As a result, we thought about how long each kit would last.
Ease Of Use
The major goal of a plant starter kit is to maximise the odds of your babies growing and thriving by allowing you to precisely regulate light, moisture, and temperature indoors instead of directly into a bigger pot or into your flower beds or the soil.
The goal is to make it as simple as possible to develop as many seedlings into healthy plants as necessary, thus the complexity of utilising each of these products was carefully studied.
You might be seeking all the bells and whistles and added extras if you’re a serious gardener. On the other hand, if you’re hunting for a seedling starter kit that’s more aesthetic than utilitarian, you might be searching for minimalism in your quest.
Some individuals prefer a kit that contains a growth medium, whereas others love to choose their own or stick with a tried-and-true medium. To keep the seed propagation procedure as simple as possible, a number of these goods include heating mats or perhaps even lights.
Examine whether the growing kit you’re considering includes a growing media. You shouldn’t be using garden soil to sprout seedlings because it’s likely to contain pollutants like weed seeds.
A sterilized growing media is included in some development kits, which is perfect for seedling growth. If you choose a kit that includes the growing medium, you’ll be ready to go right away and won’t have to worry about purchasing anything else.
Best Seed Starting Kit- Frequently Asked Questions
Are Plants Guaranteed To Grow Better In A Seed Starting Kit?
No, not all seedlings can be started inside. Root vegetables such as potatoes, beets, bulbs, and carrots grow best if placed immediately in a yard or big container, and garden veggies such as corn, legumes, and beans thrive when not transferred. Some crops and flowers, however, flourish when grown indoors before planting season.
Brassica relatives such as cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts flourish when grown indoors before the growing season starts.
Why Should I Start My Seeds Indoors?
For a range of factors, growers choose to start their own seeds. To begin with, starting your own seeds allows you to grow difficult-to-find kinds.
At your local garden centre, you’ll probably find less than a handful types available as plants, but many more are accessible as seeds.
You can also save money; a package of seeds costs just a couple dollars and normally contains twelve or more seeds; a single plant is sometimes more expensive than a complete packet.
Growing a small patch of greenery indoors is a terrific way to brighten up the darker months and growing a plant from seed to harvest is especially fulfilling.
Can I Grow Seeds On My Windowsill?
Although seeds can be grown on a sunlit windowsill, the outcomes will be considerably better if they are grown under illumination. This is because the light in spring time isn’t as strong as it is in the summertime, and the days are also shorter.
Plants on a windowsill will strive for the sunlight, resulting in prolonged, slender stems that bend towards the light.
Plants cultivated in a light nursery under constant, bright fluorescent lighting, on the other hand, will have robust, plump stems that will adjust well once transferred into the garden.