Gardening is the kind of hobby that produces results and satisfaction and so attracts all different kinds of people. You can grow indoors and outdoors and it doesn’t have to be expensive!
All you need is the correct supplies, equipment, and a lot of enthusiasm and you’ll be growing award-winning vegetables before you know it!
Gardening has so many positive benefits, including watching something grow, your fresh fruit and vegetables, and countless others!
So, are you looking to get stuck into growing your fresh produce but have no idea where to begin?
Having good basic knowledge about soils, seeds, and how to grow fresh produce is a great place to start. To learn more about these topics, invest in a gardening book.
We have come up with a list of our top 7 recommended vegetable gardening books for beginners!
Some of the links on here are affiliate links and I may earn if you click on them, AT NO EXTRA cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful! Thanks.
- Best Seed Starting Kit Of 2022
- What Do Plants Need To Grow And Survive? [2022 Guide!]
- How to Start Your Own Permaculture Vegetable Garden
- Why Are Pink Princess Philodendrons So Beloved? – Care Tips 
- Your Guide to 17 Best Gardening Hats
- How To Preserve Willow Branches [2022 Guide]
The Vegetable Gardening For Beginners book was published in April of 2020 and written by Jill Mcsheehy.
Mcsheehy is the host of a podcast known as The Beginner’s Garden, which would also be useful to listen to any aspiring gardeners.
This book goes into depth about all the beginnings of gardening including pots, plant beds, and mixing soils! This is the perfect book for those who have just begun with their gardening adventure and wish to know all the basics!
- Easy to follow guide
- Includes advice on the best first plant for you
- Builds a great foundation for a vegetable garden
- Little images to accompany the guidance
- A few steps do not contain enough information
With more than 20 years of gardening experience the author of this book, Charlie Nardozzi, provides a complete beginner’s guide to growing vegetables at home.
This book also contains information surrounding pests and insects that could affect and prevent your vegetables from growing,
as well as provides you with knowledge about the best soils to use. This is a super easy-to-follow guide for beginners!
- Experienced writer
- A complete, practical guide
- Includes new watering and harvesting methods
- Lengthy (over 350 pages long)
- Skips over some basic beginners steps
This book was published in 2009, and covers beginner’s steps as well as covering set-up problems that beginners may encounter. The author of this book,
Edward C. Smith has over 30 years of gardening experience, which is evident when reading this guide.
- Professional step-by-step guidance
- Perfect for those who already have basic beginner’s knowledge
- Can overwhelm some beginners
- Some steps can be considered too advance for beginner’s level
This book provides the answers to most questions any beginner may need to ask. This book is relatively concise with just under 200 pages, providing easy instructions on how to set up your garden of vegetables.
Included are tips on mixing soils, watering methods, and how to harvest your fresh produce. Not only this, but most of the methods are also eco-friendly! It is a win-win!
- Many images to accompany the text
- Ideal for beginners
- Introduces basic concepts
- Not helpful for advanced gardeners
- Less content on planting, more content on soil suitability
This is a great book for those who are just starting with gardening, but also for those who are more advanced. With steps on how to begin growing vegetables to more complicated graphs and diagrams for experts,
this book truly contains all the knowledge you’ll ever need to know. For better understanding, coloured pictures are on most pages to accompany the text and instructions.
This basic handbook is the perfect gardening guide for those who are beginning and continuing on their gardening journey.
- Includes a step-by-step guide for over 30 different vegetables
- Easy techniques for growing plants and produce
- Over 150 colored photos and charts
- Lack of professional methods
- Users have reported receiving the book damaged
This is the perfect starting book for beginners who want to grow multiple plants in one garden bed.
This book offers advice on how to grow vegetables in any space, and how to select the right plants to grow next to one another in shared soil.
There are even recipes to create your herbal teas if you fancied them! Not suitable for those with established gardens, this book is most beneficial to beginners.
- Includes 30 common vegetables and herbs
- Easy to read and follow along
- Not a lot of elaboration on topics
This is the perfect beginner’s guide for anyone who struggles with having the space to grow their vegetable garden.
With advice and tips on how to best use the space you have, you’ll be able to successfully grow vegetables in even the smallest spaces.
This is especially useful for those who live in cities and apartments with little to no garden space. Author Alex Mitchell is a columnist for gardening, and so knows all the best tips and tricks to grow plants in small spaces!
- Advice for gardeners with limited space
- Ideas and instructions accompanied with photos
- Customers have reported receiving the book broken
If you are new to the gardening world, then hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you on your way to a successful and fruitful garden!
There is no excuse when it comes to gardening – it is accessible to anyone no matter the space you have, you just need to think more creatively.
Although beginning to grow your vegetables may seem a large and daunting responsibility, with the right advice and guidance you will have a garden that thrives in no time!
Depending on where you are with your gardening experience, there is a helpful book out there for you.
And even more, you get to brag about all the yummy vegetables you’ve grown by yourself! So, why not try out a new hobby and begin your gardening adventure today with the help of these beginner’s guidebooks.